Salary £25,000 – £28,000 pa (full time)
We are looking for a proactive self-starter who is passionate to make London a greener city. The right candidate will need to have leadership skills and the ability and drive to help Father Nature grow successfully in an environmentally responsible way over the next one to three years. This is a full-time role.
Father Nature is a landscape and design social enterprise on a mission to improve the well being of Londoners through landmark ‘green interventions’ in public areas as well as creating and maintaining communal spaces and private gardens. We collaborate with councils, businesses, developers, schools and nurseries, community groups and private clients across London (mostly south of the river), creating and maintaining spaces where people can live, learn and play in nature on their doorstep. You can read more about our aims and activities, and see examples of our past projects on www.fathernature.org.uk, and on our social media channels.
We are growing our team in order to grow our work across new spaces and communities in London. The successful candidate will be responsible for project planning, co-ordinating projects and over-seeing implementation of Father Nature’s new build and improvement projects. This will include procurement and delivery of high-quality outcomes, meeting the needs of our varied clients. The Project Manager will play a significant role in increasing the scope and value of our work overall, allowing us to create more nature-focused projects across the city.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a passionate, diverse and collaborative team, who are keen to grow and build on our successes to date.
• Helping our landscape designer and building teams procure, plan and deliver approved designs for community gardens and public/private spaces across London in line with client briefs.
• Basic knowledge of carpentry, electrics, stonework and general landscaping essential.
• Project management – From client visits, through design, to planning project schedules, and communicating effectively with the stakeholders and our other team workers, to ensure smooth delivery of projects.
• Helping with the sourcing, ordering, purchase and scheduling of delivery of stock, project materials and subcontracted services.
• Budget management – creating accurate budgets for projects and delivering in line with these.
• Overseeing installations at sites – safely ensuring projects are on track and delivered to a high standard. Writing Risk Assessments and responsible for Health & Safety.
• Client liaison – responding to and managing client requests and expectations in a timely and polite manner.
• Equipment care – responsibility for team equipment maintenance, resupply and care.
• Delivering work in line with Father Nature’s mission and vision.
• Experience of, and an enthusiasm for horticulture, urban growing and community liaison is required. Horticultural and garden design experience, carpentry and/or building and construction skills and qualifications would be ideal.
• Creative with a keen eye for design; ability to interpret or create basic garden design sketch plans. Experience with Sketchup or other design software experience would be an advantage. Comfortable using Powerpoint, Google Slides or other software to create presentations.
• Excellent project and budget management – creation of project timelines and budgets, liaising with suppliers, ensuring projects are financially viable, good negotiation skills. Delivery in line with all of these.
• Relationship building – ability to grow client relationships and negotiate effectively with a diverse range of people, from a wide range of sectors and backgrounds.
• Flexible, hands on approach. We are a small organisation where all hands on deck are needed at times. A ‘can-do’ approach in all our team and a willingness to jump in and support others is essential.
• Super-organised and reliable, good time management, attention to detail and happy juggling multiple projects at once with excellent communication skills.
• Fully aware of Health & Safety considerations for gardening and landscaping work. First Aid IOSH qualification and advantage.
• A confident user of digital technology, able to manage emails, MS OneDrive, Google Drive, phone-based apps such as Whatsapp, Slack etc. Experience with landscape design software and Clearbooks accounting software an advantage.
• You will be a resident of South London with a driver’s license (our activities are primarily in Lambeth & Southwark)
• You will have full DBS clearance or be prepared to apply for this on being awarded the post.
Who we are looking for (no one of these alone is essential):
1. A collaborative leader who inspires confidence in colleagues and clients
2. A clear & concise communicator, who can express ideas & pass on knowledge effectively to a range of people
3. A strong and compassionate manager of people with experience of leading teams and supporting personal development of colleagues
4. An organised and strategic thinker who can coordinate activities efficiently, with experience of improving operational systems and who can streamline how we work
5. An enabler, who helps people realise their potential and who has experience of helping diverse people overcome challenges and achieve their goals
6. A creative thinker and problem solver who relishes new challenges and responds calmly and effectively under pressure
7. A keen learner, who wants to gain new skills and isn’t afraid to learn from failure
8. A lover of plants and wildlife, committed to protecting the environment
You will be paid dependent on your experience. There will be a salary and job role review at the end of 6 months. There is a 12 week probationary period and we can be flexible about working hours in the initial stages of the employment.
Development of the role
We will support you to settle into a position of responsibility over 12 weeks. Throughout this process, you will work closely with the Managing Directors, to understand the company and your growing portfolio of responsibilities.
You will coordinate much of the logistics, visit all our sites, meet new and existing clients, shadowing the MDs and lead team workers on-site and offer off-site support.
Please submit your CV with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, explaining your suitability for the role. We welcome questions about the role in advance of this. Please direct any questions to the email above.
The successful candidate will be required to provide at least two references.
Application closing date: Sunday 22nd March 2020